Dental bonding is a great way for patients in the Houston, TX, area to quickly and affordably repair small imperfections on teeth.
What Is Bonding?
Bonding is a dental procedure that repairs a decayed, chipped, broken, or stained tooth by applying tooth-colored resin to the area and then using a special light to set the material in place. Bonding also works to fill in small cavities, making them appear as natural teeth instead of silver fillings. This procedure cosmetically improves the appearance and shape of teeth.
Benefits of Bonding
Bonding can be used to improve teeth that are stained, chipped, cracked, misshapen or separated by unattractive minor gaps. Some of the benefits include:
- Relatively less expensive than other cosmetic procedures, such as porcelain veneers
- Often covered by health insurance
- Relatively quick procedure, taking about thirty minutes to one hour for a given tooth
- Relatively painless procedure with no anesthesia or numbing gel required
- Removes only a small amount of tooth enamel, in comparison to other cosmetic dental procedures
How Is Bonding Performed?
Your dentist will first match the shade of your tooth to a composite resin color that will be used in the procedure.
He or she will then apply a gentle phosphoric acid to the tooth, used as a roughing agent, and then a liquid bonding material to bond the tooth composite resin color in place. Next, the resin is sculpted and shaped into its desired outcome.
An ultraviolet light is then used to harden the material, and the process of sculpting and shaping can be repeated again if necessary. Finally, your dentist will polish the tooth to create sheen and further match your other teeth.
Preparing for Bonding
Your dentist can first help you assess your dental concerns with a consultation and x-rays, in order to discuss whether bonding may be the right procedure for you. Evaluating your teeth and the surrounding tissues will help determine whether this cosmetic procedure or another restorative dentistry procedure are best suited for your individual needs.
Maintenance of Bonding
You will want to take care in maintaining your bonded tooth after your procedure. Practicing good oral hygiene, including daily brushing and flossing, remains key. A well-balanced diet, as well as minimizing sugar intake, can prevent plaque buildup. Also, take care in biting hard objects that can chip or cause damage to your bonded tooth. Use a straw or minimize your coffee, tea, or red wine intake to prevent staining. Finally, contact your dentist if you feel strange when you bite down or notice any sharp edges. Depending on your oral habits, bonding can last from three to ten years before another repair or replacement is needed.
How Much Does Bonding Cost?
We are committed to providing quality, affordable care for you and your family. We offer a variety of payment options and accept most insurance plans. We also accept government assistance programs. Please visit our financing page for to find the best option for your situation.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience
- We use a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- We have a bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- We offer ClearCorrect™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- We provide quality care at affordable rates
- We have 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
What to Expect During Your Consultation
- All new patients receive a $25 initial consultation
- Your initial visit consists of x-rays, examination, and consultation
- Treatment options are discussed before any service is performed
- We make quality dental care easy and affordable
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment!