This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
We think a smile is worth more than a thousand words, and our experts in Houston, TX, want to help you take good care in protecting it by practicing good oral hygiene. Did you know that practicing good oral habits can decrease your risk of heart disease, diabetes, gum disease, bone loss, infection, and more?
What Is a Dental Hygiene Cleaning?
You should have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year by a qualified dental hygienist or dentist. During the cleaning, your hygienist or dentist will clean your teeth with special instruments using the methods of tooth scaling, polishing, and debridement. These methods remove hardened plaque and tartar from your teeth and gums, in addition to preventing further cavities, gingivitis, and other periodontal problems from happening.
Benefits of Dental Hygiene
Visit your dentist at least twice a year for a comprehensive checkup, including professional dental cleanings and x-rays. Here are some best practices to follow for good oral hygiene:
- Brushing your teeth: You should brush at least twice a day.
- Flossing your teeth: Floss at least once a day.
- Eating a well-balanced, nutritious diet: This includes a diet rich in nutrients and minerals, especially Calcium and Vitamin D. You should also limit your sugar intake.
- Clean your tongue: This gets rid of unwanted bacteria and bad breath.
- Limit soda, coffee, and alcohol intake: Too much of these drinks can cause tooth decay and gum disease.
- Stop smoking cigarettes: This will help you prevent oral cancer and periodontal disease.
- Use mouth rinse: This helps get rid of unwanted bacteria and bad breath.
- Finally, see a dentist immediately if tooth pain occurs.
Preparing for Your Dental Hygiene Treatment
Make sure you bring up any dental concerns you are experiencing with your dentist. Through a comprehensive consultation and x-rays, your dentist will be able to diagnose and come up with the best solutions for your needs and desired outcomes.
How Much Does a Dental Hygiene Treatment Cost?
We are committed to providing quality, affordable care for you and your family. We offer a variety of payment options and accept most insurance plans. We also accept government assistance programs. Please visit our financing page for to find the best option for your situation.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience
- Uses a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- Bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- Offers ClearCorrect™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- Quality care at affordable rates
- 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment and ask about our free consultations!