Dental Sealants in Houston, TX
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
Summit Dental Center™ uses dental sealants for patients in the Houston, TX, area as an effective approach to preventing pit and fissure cavities in children and teens.
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants protect against cavities and tooth decay. Sealing off the areas that are hard to reach in the back of the mouth (which include premolars, molars, and the spaces in between teeth) can protect against cavities and other gum diseases.
Who Should Consider Dental Sealants?
- Children and youth can greatly benefit from dental sealants as a prevention method against cavities.
- Children who have large gaps in between their baby teeth, which need to be held together longer for alignment purposes before permanent teeth should grow.
- Children between the ages of 6-14, since these are the years that the majority of cavities tend to occur.
- Adults can also benefit from this protection if they do not have teeth fillings or tooth damage.
How Are Dental Sealants Applied?
Dental sealants take a few minutes to apply and are a painless procedure done by your dentist or dental hygienist. Your dental hygienist or dentist will first thoroughly clean your teeth, and then put an absorbent material, such as cotton, around the teeth to keep the area dry. Next, an acid solution is placed on the chewing surfaces of teeth, which will allow the sealant to stay cemented and in place. The teeth are then rinsed and dried. Finally, the sealant is applied to the tooth enamel, further creating a shield for the grooves and depressions in between the teeth. Sometimes a special light is used to harden the sealant.
Preparing for Dental Sealants
Your dentist can first evaluate your teeth and the surrounding tissues with a consultation, using a dental probe to detect early decay. Your dentist may also take x-rays, and then determine whether dental sealants may be the right choice for you. If your dentist determines that dental sealants will prevent cavities, he or she can usually complete the process at your annual visit.
Maintenance of Dental Sealants
You will want to take care in maintaining your dental sealants. As always, practicing good oral hygiene, including daily brushing and flossing, remains key. Your dentist will check on your dental sealants during your annual visits and can repair any chipped or damaged sealants. Depending on your oral habits, your dental sealants can last up to ten years.
How Much Do Dental Sealants Cost?
We are committed to providing quality, affordable care for you and your family. We offer a variety of payment options and accept most insurance plans. We also accept government assistance programs. Please visit our financing page for to find the best option for your situation.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience
- Uses a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- Bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- Offers ClearCorrect™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- Quality care at affordable rates
- 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
What to Expect During Your Consultation
- All new patients receive a free initial consultation
- Your initial visit consists of x-rays, examination, and consultation
- Treatment options are discussed before any service is performed
- We make quality dental care easy and affordable
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment and ask about our free consultations!
What our patients have to say about Summit Dental Center
I really enjoy taking my kids to summit dental the staff there is very friendly and helpful. Dentist Nguyen is a very outstanding and professional person he is awesome with making ... More