Endodontics in Houston, TX
Endodontics deals with the prevention, diagnosis, cause, and treatment of dental pulp diseases. Summit Dental Center™ is proud to offer patients in the Houston, TX, area the latest in endodontics for a straight and beautiful smile.
What Is Endodontics?
An endodontist is a dentist who specializes in the treatment of diseases and injuries of the dental pulp, root, and surrounding tissues of the teeth.
There is soft tissue, or pulp, in the chamber of every tooth. Endodontics specializes in the strands of pulp that extend beneath teeth into the inner chamber and through the tooth root, passing through blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue. This process is known as a root canal.
Our experts treat many complex stages of endodontics.
Benefits of Endodontics
- Unlike other dental procedures, in endodontic treatment the tooth is preserved, not removed and replaced with an expensive denture or bridge.
- Treatments promote teeth and bone growth. As the root is removed, the region surrounding it continues development. Otherwise, the oral cavity’s support system breaks down. That leads to a condition known as resorption, the loss of the root structure.
- Strengthening the tooth with a filling material that produces mineral compounds and reinvigorates dentin, or calcifying, tissue.
- The team at Summit Dental Center™ is familiar with the benefits of endodontics, using the most advanced and proven practices to ensure safe and productive results.
How Is the Endodontics Procedure Performed?
Despite its delicate nature, an endodontics procedure is straightforward. The area around the tooth will be numbed via anesthesia. A rubber dam or vacuum will be applied to stop the flow of saliva. The oral surgeon will drill to access damaged pulp and tissue. They will then remove the root, pulp, and debris.
Once cleaned, the tooth will be sealed. Some surgeons prefer to place a temporary filling to monitor the area for a few days. Others may seal the tooth immediately. Whichever best suits your needs will be thoroughly discussed with the pros at Summit Dental Center™.
Preparing for an Endodontics Procedure
Make sure your dentist is aware of any medications you are taking. While there are no real restrictions, there are conditions (congenital heart disease, recent knee or hip replacement, and others) that may require premedication. Patients can return to daily activities almost immediately.
If there was infection or pain prior to the procedure, there might be sensitivity afterward. The majority of patients return to normal activities the next day. Some take ibuprofen or naproxen to deal with discomfort. The patient may have to minimize chewing on the tooth, especially if a permanent filling has not been set. This prevents contamination and minimizes a fragile tooth breaking before full restoration.
How Much Does Endodontics Cost?
The cost varies depending on how complicated the procedure will be. The procedure will probably be more complex than your first root canal treatment because your restoration and filling material may need to be removed to accomplish the new procedure. We offer a variety of payment options and accept most insurance plans. We also accept government assistance programs. Please visit our financing page for to find the best option for your situation.
Is Endodontics Right for Me?
Here are a few signs you could be a candidate for endodontics:
- You have a tooth that is causing you pain and discomfort
- A tooth that reacts uncomfortably to cold or heat
- There are moments of spontaneous pain, e.g., in the middle of the night
- Tooth pain progresses to headaches
- Tooth is dead and becomes abscessed, leading to potential swelling, bleeding, or both
Let Summit Dental Center in Houston provide the care you need for these issues.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience.
- Uses a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- Bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- Offers ClearCorrect™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- Quality care at affordable rates
- 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
What to Expect During Your Consultation
- All new patients receive a free initial consultation
- Your initial visit consists of x-rays, examination, and consultation
- Treatment options are discussed before any service is performed
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment and ask about our free consultations!
What our patients have to say about Summit Dental Center
I really enjoy taking my kids to summit dental the staff there is very friendly and helpful. Dentist Nguyen is a very outstanding and professional person he is awesome with making ... More