Looking for a pediatric dentist in Houston? Wondering if a family dentist is all you need? These two options are actually quite different, and you may need to see more than a family dentist to give your child the dental care he or she needs. But what’s the difference? And where can you find a pediatric dentist you can trust?
A family dentist is, well, exactly as it sounds: a dentist for your family. He’ll treat family members of all ages for a variety of dental issues, using a variety of general dental care procedures. The treatments family dentists provide include:
- Dental Hygiene Education: Tips and guidance for the proper brushing and flossing of teeth
- Teeth Cleaning: An in-depth cleaning of your teeth and the spaces in-between
- Fluoride Treatment: For those of you with an insatiable sweet tooth, fluoride treatments help prevent tooth decay
- Dental Fillings: If that sweet tooth has already gotten the best of you, dental fillings will restore your decayed tooth to its former glory. Bye, bye cavities!
- Dental Sealants: A protective layer for your teeth that is applied to prevent tooth decay, primarily for the back of your teeth; this method is often used in children before cavities can occur
- Dental X-Rays: The exact same imaging technique used for body x-rays, but focusing on your teeth and jaw
- Dental Bridges: The visible portion of an artificial tooth or teeth; also a component of dental implants
- Root Canals: This procedure removes infection from the pulp of your teeth and protects it from any future infections
- Tooth Extraction: Removing a damaged or diseased tooth
Simply put, a family dentist is a general dentist for everyone, providing standard dental care services for you and your children. But what if there’s a more specific treatment you need for your child? Something that may require a specialist in child dentistry? What if your child gets scared and restless in a general dentist’s office and needs a little extra comfort? In other words, what if you need a specialist who knows all about kids and their teeth?
A pediatric dentist specializes in dentistry for children from ages infancy to teenage years. That’s through the years of teething, baby tooth loss, adult teeth growing in, and possibly even wisdom tooth removal! With an extra two to three years of specialized training under their belts, pediatric dentists know how to treat your child with a gentle touch and make them comfortable through all the years of oral changes they’ll go through. But what all is addressed and taken care of at a pediatric dentist visit?
- Dental x-rays are performed with care
- Teeth and gums are gently examined
- Inflammation is detected and treated
- Mouth problems such as canker sores are addressed
- Teeth can be sealed for protection against tooth decay
- Children are taught how to properly take care of their teeth
- Habits that may be harmful to the child’s oral health, such as thumb sucking, are addressed
- Parents can accompany their child during treatment if it makes them more comfortable. Sedatives are also available for more complex treatments
Not only does your child receive specialized care appropriate for their age, but they also learn about their own dental hygiene at a pediatric dentist appointment. The dentist helps your child get used to the environment of the dentist office and instills good lifelong dental habits into your child. Pediatric dentists take extra care to use a gentle voice when speaking to the kids to keep them calm and to earn their trust. The environment is also very child-friendly, with toys and games to make the visit much more enjoyable.
So, when will you need a pediatric dentist? Well, it depends on your child and how they handle dentist offices. For at least younger kids, infants or maybe children ages two to five, who may have problems in a general dentist environment, a pediatric dentist is a great option for your child anytime they need dental care. Whether there’s a cavity or a little inflammation, a pediatric dentist will get your child through the appointment quickly and comfortably.
A convenient pediatric dentist you can trust
Still having trouble deciding where to take your child for dental care? Don’t want to deal with going to two different dentist offices? Why not go somewhere where you have access to both a family and a pediatric dentist under the same roof?
Summit Dental Center not only has general family dentists, but provides pediatric dentistry as well! We have seven locations in the Houston area, so no extra travelling for your child’s dentist appointments is needed. You’ll have your family dentist and pediatric dentist in the same building close to your home.
Summit Dental Center also knows how important your child’s education is and how busy life with children can get, so we offer flexible evening hours and even make ourselves available to you on weekends! No more having to leave work early and take your child out of school for a dentist appointment!
Your child will also receive a goodie bag at every visit, ending the appointment on a positive note and providing a little treat to look forward to at the next visit.
Finally, Summit Dental Center knows that being a working parent is hard, and that sometimes, you need a little help. With Summit Dental Center’s wide variety of payment options, you won’t have to worry about how you’ll pay for you or your child’s dentist appointments. Along with our in-house payment plan and patient financing options, we accept Care Credit, and even government assistance programs such as Medicaid. We also work with all dental PPO insurance plans.
Need a family dentist? How about a pediatric dentist? We have both! Visit us at Summit Dental Center or call us at 713-425-0450 to schedule your appointment. The initial exam and x-rays will be free for new patients!