Kids Crowns in Houston, TX
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
If a child develops cavities in the Houston, TX, area, Summit Dental Center™ will provide dental fillings or dental crowns to restore and protect the tooth.
Tooth decay and dental caries (cavities) are not problems that are exclusive to adults. Tooth decay sometimes develops during early childhood for a wide variety of reasons. The key to fixing the problem is having a dental specialist examine the child as quickly as possible. The specialist should be educated and experienced in pediatric dental care.
What Is Early Childhood Tooth Decay?
Early childhood tooth decay is tooth deterioration that occurs in very young patients. Tooth decay can occur before a child’s second set of teeth begin to develop.
Signs & Symptoms of Early Childhood Tooth Decay
Several signs and symptoms can give parents a clue about a child’s decaying teeth.
- One of the signs of early childhood tooth decay is a chalky substance that forms around the gum line.
- Another sign of early childhood tooth decay is brown spots that appear on the teeth. The spots can be small or large, and they can appear anywhere on the surface of the teeth.
- Relentless bad breath or halitosis can be a sign of tooth decay, as well.
A child affected by tooth decay may complain of tooth pain. Eventually, the child may lose one tooth or several teeth if the parent does not have the issue examined by a professional dental specialist.
Causes of Early Childhood Tooth Decay
The main culprit in early childhood tooth decay is bacteria. Bacteria grow and eat through the tooth’s enamel. Eventually, it spreads to the sensitive areas of the teeth and begins to cause health problems and painful complications.
- An infant may suffer from childhood tooth decay because a parent left a bottle in his or her mouth overnight. The sugars from juice, milk, soda and other substances attack the teeth and aid in the spreading of oral bacteria.
- Certain medicines can exacerbate tooth decay in children.
- Genetic circumstances can play a role in a child’s ability to fight bacteria, as well.
- Additionally, certain foods can aid in the development of caries because of their acidic or sugary content.
Examples of such foods are cookies, cakes, hard candies, white breads, tortillas, bagels, donuts, canola oil, crackers, and commercial jam. Soft drinks such as soda is always bad for the teeth. Parents should make sure to give their children these items in moderation. They can take precautions to protect their children’s teeth after they eat harmful items, as well.
The Procedure for Diagnosing Kid Crowns for Childhood Tooth Decay
A parent should make an appointment with a dentist the moment that he or she suspects’ childhood tooth decay. The dentist will schedule an initial consultation, which will include x-rays of the child’s mouth. The dentist will also conduct a physical examination, which may involve fingers and magnifying utensils. The dentist will then speak with the parent about a treatment plan that makes everyone smile. The course of the plan will depend on the age of the child and the severity of the tooth decay.
Kid Crowns for Childhood Tooth Decay
Several options exist for effective treatment of childhood tooth decay.
- Fluoride treatments can possibly reverse decay that is in its early stages and still on the surface of the tooth.
- A dental filling is an option for decay that has reached the dentine.
- Decay that has reached advanced stages may require a crown or an extraction.
A dentist may choose to extract a child’s tooth if it is part of his or her first set. The specialist will discuss these options during the consultation.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience.
- Uses a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- Bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- Offers ClearCorrect™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- Offers general sedation for pediatric patients
- Quality care at affordable rates
- 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
What to Expect During Your Consultation
- All new patients receive a $25 initial consultation
- Your initial visit consists of x-rays, examination, and consultation
- Treatment options are discussed before any service is performed
- We make quality dental care easy and affordable
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment and ask about our free consultations!
What our patients have to say about Summit Dental Center
They are all so nice and sympathetic when your in pain. They rushed me in for an extraction 1 hour before they closed even though the procedure lasted till after they closed. They ... More