Oral Infections in Houston, TX
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
We take pride in educating patients in the Houston, TX, area about the side effects of failing to brush their teeth and floss regularly, which leads to oral infections and serious health problems.
What Is an Oral Infection?
Oral infections are infections that occur in or around the mouth. Caused by bacteria or viruses, they can include areas of the teeth, gums, palate, tongue, lips, and inside the cheeks. Oral infections are very common today, occurring in over 95 percent of the public.
What are some common oral infections?
- Cavities: A cavity happens when a tooth forms a build-up of plaque, which dissolves its enamel, thus creating tooth decay. Foods that contain sugar and carbohydrates are often the culprit of a cavity, in addition to improper oral health hygiene.
- Gingivitis: A mild form of gum disease where bacteria or tartar cause inflammation around the gums. Redness, swelling and irritation are signs of gingivitis.
- Herpes: Cold sores are extremely common, contagious blisters inside or around the mouth that come and go throughout a person’s life. Symptoms of burning, itching, or tingling appear a few days before the yellowish or whitish legion shows up. The virus spreads directly from kissing or indirectly from sharing utensils, food, or makeup. The virus usually disappears within a week or two and can be accompanied in some cases by a mild fever.
- Canker Sores: Painful, reddish spots on the inside of the mouth that come and go throughout a person’s life. The sores or ulcers can appear as one lesion or in groups. Lack of iron or B vitamins, hormonal changes, stress, and food allergies can all contribute to canker sores. They usually disappear within 1-3 weeks.
- Thrush: Lives in moist areas of the body such as the mouth and happens when an excess of Candida, a yeast-like fungus, is present. Thrush appears as a yellowish crust inside and around the mouth area. Those susceptible to thrush may be newborns whose mothers may have had a vaginal yeast infection, those with weakened immune systems due to illness, or those who are dehydrated.
How Can People Prevent Oral Infections?
Proper hygiene is important in stopping the spread of many oral infections. This includes washing your hands thoroughly and often, as well as avoiding sick people who may be contagious.
In addition, proper oral hygiene is crucial to prevent oral infections. This includes gently brushing your teeth, gums, and tongue twice daily. Flossing your teeth also remains important for your health. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings are beneficial, as well as staying away from nicotine and tobacco products.
What Are Some Treatments for Oral Infections?
Your dentist or doctor can help you find the right treatment for your specific oral infection. Antibiotics, antiviral medication, mouthwash, over-the-counter medications, fillings, and crowns may be a few solutions for different types of oral infections.
How Much Do Oral Infection Treatments Cost?
We are committed to providing quality, affordable care for you and your family. We offer a variety of payment options and accept most insurance plans. We also accept government assistance programs. Please visit our financing page for to find the best option for your situation.
Why Choose Summit Dental Center™?
Known as a “great dentist for kids,” Summit Dental Center™ has a reputation for providing a family friendly atmosphere and positive dental experience
- We use a gentle touch to help put nervous and fearful patients at ease
- We have a bright and clean play area for children and gift bags – everyone loves gift bags!
- We offer Clear Correct™ as an alternative to Invisalign®
- We provide quality care at affordable rates
- We have 7 convenient locations with flexible evening and weekend hours
What to Expect During Your Consultation
- All new patients receive a $25 initial consultation
- Your initial visit consists of x-rays, examination, and consultation
- Treatment options are discussed before any service is performed
- We make quality dental care easy and affordable
With seven convenient locations throughout the Houston area, we offer both extended and weekend hours to our patients. We are dedicated to providing quality dental service, so please contact us today to schedule your appointment!
What our patients have to say about Summit Dental Center
They are all so nice and sympathetic when your in pain. They rushed me in for an extraction 1 hour before they closed even though the procedure lasted till after they closed. They ... More